POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Random variation : Re: Random variation Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:12:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Random variation
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 26 Sep 2002 17:09:04
Message: <3D937770.2863EBC7@gmx.de>
Christopher James Huff wrote:

> > All right, but mathematics don't care about double precision
>
> What branch of mathematics are you thinking of? Computer science is
> largely mathematics, and definitely does care. [...]

I'm talking about those parts of mathematics that consider there are an
infinite number of real numbers between 0 and 1.

I'm not sure about the precise english terms, but math distinguishes
between natural numbers (integers: 1, 2, 3, ...), rational numbers
(numbers that can be represented as a fraction of two natual numbers) and
real numbers (rational numbers and all other numbers like sqrt(2), pi,
etc.).  The latter two categories are those where two consecutive random
numbers from a given range won't be identical (assuming there is a
mathematical definition of random numbers in that category, which i
doubt).

Christoph

--
POV-Ray tutorials, IsoWood include,